Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Definitely Straight Up and Dirty

So Sunday night in between writing pages of my lovely paper on Pat Summitt, I read the first chapter of Stephanie Klein's Straight Up and Dirty and so far the title is pretty accurate. I was surprised with her candor about, well, everything. She has a pretty good outlook after coming off of a divorce. Klein is lucky that she had her own career and, as is said several times, that there were no children involved, but I can't imagine how hard it was for her to have an abortion at the same time as her marriage was falling apart.

But then in that same chapter, Klein describes how her lover used Pam as lube. Interesting juxtaposition. The beginning of the chapter is poignant and a good introduction to Klein's life, so it seems unnecessary to shock the reader with such scandalous material. Finding out that the 'massage oil' was really olive oil was a little superfluous. She goes into great detail about her bikini wax, more detail than the reader really needed. It's definitely an interesting read, like nothing I've read recently (which has consisted of Pat Summitt's books as well as young adult books like Harry Potter and His Dark Materials for a paper for another class).

On a different note, the actual book is super cool. I really like that the outside is all photos. While we're not supposed to judge books by their covers, this one definitely impresses me with its cover. I guess that goes along with Klein being a flashy gal. Someone who writes about Pam cooking spray in the first chapter of her book the way she does would not be satisfied with a plain cover. I can totally see how this used to be blog. It has the same hip, sassy feel that a lot of the blogs I read have (yes, I read like six blogs regularly now because of this class.).

Okay, as I currently watching Gilmore Girls and eating Lucky Charms and I need to change out of my gym clothes, I am going to conclude this entry. I'm leaving in half and hour for the Nationals/ Phillies game. Go Phillies!!

-Lindsay

1 comment:

caroline said...

Good reflections. You have a couple possible questions here. First, you could ask Klein about how she uses juxtaposition in her book. What does she hope to achieve in doing this? And, I also think it would be appropriate to ask about the cover design. I know she is a photographer as well, so you might ask if she had any say in how the cover was designed.